Autism Toolbox for parents and carers
Support after an autism diagnosis
Once you have an autism diagnosis, you can get support depending on the age of your child:
0 to 5
- EarlyBird Programme (National Autistic Society (NAS))
- Right from the Start parent toolkit (Ambitious about Autism)
5 to 18
- autism spectrum disorder (ASD) post diagnostic workshop parenting course (Buckinghamshire Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS))
- post diagnostic ASD workshop for parents of under 11s (CAMHS)
- specialist teaching service
- NAS South Buckinghamshire branch
Post diagnosis support: a guide for parents and carers by NAS is also a good source of advice for parents and carers of autistic children of all ages.
0 to 25
Neurobears is a pre-recorded course for autistic young people and their safe adults. Made by autistic adults in collaboration with autistic young people.
Help when out and about
Thames Valley Autism Alert Card
Thames Valley Police and Autism Berkshire have launched The Thames Valley Autism Alert Card. It's a card the size of a credit card that gives autistic people a quick and easy way to explain their condition to others.
On the back of the card, there is space for two emergency contacts, such as parents or carers so they can be contacted if help is needed. The card is free to anyone in Buckinghamshire with an autism diagnosis. Frontline staff like police and paramedics are trained to recognise the alert card.