Search for information, advice and guidance

Preparing for adulthood

Mental capacity and decision making (for parents and carers)

If you are the parent or carer of a young person who does not have the mental capacity to make their own decisions, then you might need to consider becoming a power of attorney or deputy.

One important difference is that a power of attorney is appointed by the person needing support while they still have the capacity whereas a deputy is appointed by the Court of Protection.

Find out more:

Becoming a deputy (GOV.UK)

Appointing a power of attorney (NHS)