Search for information, advice and guidance

Find local activities and organisations in our directory.

Making a complaint about your childcare provider

What to do if you're unhappy with your childcare provider or you think a child is at risk.

If a child is at risk

If a child is in immediate danger, always call 999.

If you think a child is at risk like a child protection or safeguarding issue, let the council know by calling the First Response Team on:

01296 383 962 (between Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm)

01494 675 802 (out of hours)

You can also call 101.

Talk to your provider if you're unhappy with them

If your child is not in danger, but you have a concern or complaint, you should speak to the provider, service or school. Most complaints can be resolved by their complaints procedure. Your childminder or childcare provider should inform you about this process.

If you're still not happy

If you cannot resolve the issue in this way then you can make a formal complaint by contacting Ofsted. Ofsted is responsible for the regulation of childminders and childcare providers in England.

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 0300 123 46 66

Ofsted cannot resolve disputes between you and the provider. Ofsted’s role is to make sure that the childcare provider is following all registration requirements and take action if necessary.

Get advice from our Early Years Team

If you would like to discuss your concerns, you can contact the Early Years team.

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 01296 387 111