Childcare for children with special educational needs and disabilities
Choosing a childcare provider
When looking for childcare for children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), you should consider the environment, setting and experience of the childcare provider.
If you want to find childcare providers, you can search providers who've indicated they support the needs of children with SEND.
Things to consider about the care and services
- would you like your child to be with children of mixed abilities, or only those with SEND?
- will your child be comfortable with larger or smaller groups of children?
- are the activities on offer suitable for your child?
- is there a good range of activities that your child can do?
Things to consider about environment and facilities
- is the care environment suitable?
- is the place easy to get in and out of?
- if your child often falls or has fits, they may need a setting adapted to help prevent injuries. This could include cushioned walls and flooring or open-plan space with less furniture
- are the toys and equipment right? If your child has difficulty using their hands, then toys that are fiddly or too small are not going to be right