Search for information, advice and guidance

Find local activities and organisations in our directory.

Accessibility Strategy 2022 to 2025

Last updated: 28 October 2022
Down syndrome image

Improving access to information

The responsibilities of the educational setting and the local authority.

Schools and educational responsibilities

Schools and settings have a duty to provide information in accessible forms to students who may have difficulty reading the information in standard written form. The Council supports this by making advice available from the specialist teachers for visual impairment, hearing impairments and physical difficulties.

Access to specialist ICT communication equipment is also available for individual students with specific needs.

The communication duty covers the delivery of school information normally provided to pupils in writing. This includes any information given to pupils by the school, such as:

  • letters
  • handouts and worksheets
  • textbooks
  • timetables
  • handbooks
  • test and examination papers
  • notices and notice boards
  • posters around the school
  • information about school events
  • reports on progress.

Schools should be aware that the ‘written form’ does not simply mean printed text and might also include curriculum materials including handouts and worksheets that may include:

  • illustrations
  • diagrams
  • maps
  • materials presented on whiteboards
  • flipcharts
  • ICT systems
  • wall displays
  • timetables.

Buckinghamshire Council responsibilities

The requirement in the Children and Families Act 2014 to develop a Local Offer has the express purpose of making information more accessible. The Council has developed its own SEND Local offer, providing information on the types of support available.

The directory is useful for finding local organisations, services and activities that support children and young people with SEND. For those families who are not able to access the internet, the Local Offer is made available in other ways, including:

  • using a public computer in your local library
  • going to one of our family centres. They can assist with accessing information or can contact the Family Information Service on your behalf.
  • asking professionals you work with for help. For example, school staff or social workers. They can also assist with accessing information or can contact the Family Information Service on your behalf.
  • phoning the Buckinghamshire Family Information Service (BFIS) on 01296 383 293
  • emailing BFIS at [email protected]

We have provided information about how we have made our website accessible.

The Buckinghamshire SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIAS) offers impartial information, advice and support to families of children and young people who have special educational needs or disabilities.