Search for information, advice and guidance

Post-16 education and training

Combining work with part-time study or training

You can improve your skills and confidence, get work experience and gain the qualifications that employers need. You may also be able to earn a wage.

You can choose between:

  • starting an apprenticeship or school leaver programme
  • starting an internship
  • starting a traineeship
  • working or volunteering while training or studying part-time

Starting a traineeship

A traineeship is an education or training programme that includes a work placement. It will help you prepare to do an apprenticeship or a job. You can also improve your maths and English skills.

If you have already had some work experience, you might be ready to do an apprenticeship instead.

Find a traineeship Find a traineeship in Buckinghamshire

Bucks Inspired Traineeship

This traineeship helps to unlock a young person's (aged 16 to 24) potential and set them up for their next steps into further education, training or employment. The traineeship includes:

  • Employability skills workshops
  • English and maths skills support
  • Individual support from a Family Support Service Youth Worker
  • Level 1 certificate and level 2 award in employment skills
  • Work experience placement
  • Independent living sessions

For more information email [email protected].

Starting an apprenticeship

Apprenticeships combine learning practical skills with studying for a qualification. You’ll get training that’s relevant to your job and you’ll receive a wage. There are four different levels:

  • intermediate level apprenticeship - equivalent to 5 GCSE passes
  • advanced level apprenticeship - equivalent to 2 A level passes
  • higher apprenticeship - opportunity to gain a NVQ Level 4 and above or a foundation degree.
  • degree apprenticeships - combines working with studying part-time at a university for a full bachelor’s or master’s degree.

School leaver programme

School leaver programmes are a direct route to the world of work. They are offered by some larger companies in sectors like accountancy, engineering and construction. They are usually aimed at students leaving college or sixth form at 18. If you’re 16, you may still be able to find a school leaver programme to suit you.

A typical school leaver programme will last between 12 months and 5 years. Companies offering school leaver programmes may sponsor or part-sponsor you to study for qualifications relevant to the job while you work for the company full- or part-time. You will be paid a wage.

You should speak to your school’s career advisor to find out more information about school leaver programmes.

Care leavers internship scheme

This scheme offers young people leaving care with the opportunity to gain experience of working in central government departments.

The internships last for 12 months and are paid. They aim to help young people leaving care to develop the skills and experience they need to go into long-term jobs.

You can find out more information about the scheme.

Support services for students in Buckinghamshire

Building Futures

Building Futures is a programme delivered in partnership with local organisations. They offer free one-to-one support for young people aged 15 years and above, to help you choose the right path to training, work experience or a job that works for you.

Find out more about the Building Futures programme