Search for information, advice and guidance

Find local activities and organisations in our directory.

Young people and homelessness

If you're facing homelessness

If you don't have anywhere to stay, or you're having problems at home, you can contact Buckinghamshire Council's First Response Team who will signpost to help you understand what your options are. You will then be aided in finding local support and what to expect.

If you're aged 16 or 17 we have a statutory duty to help you find accommodation. The First Response team can give you support and find you somewhere to stay if:

  • you can't return home and have nowhere else to live
  • you’re staying with friends or another family and have been asked to leave
  • your home is unsafe for you (for example, because you're at risk of violence or abuse)

First Response Team

Phone: 01296 383962 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)

Out-of-hours phone: 0800 999 7677

Email: [email protected]

If you're aged 16 or 17 and having to leave home

Our homelessness team have teams of Housing Advisers who will listen to you and explain what can be done.

They will arrange to see you as soon as possible and a joint assessment between our children and housing services will need to be completed. A Social Worker from the council may also be present because until you're 18 you are still legally a child.

Everything possible will be done to help prevent you from being made homeless.

For example:

  • if you’ve been asked to leave home, they can help you return if it’s safe to do so
  • if you’re being evicted from a tenancy they can negotiate with the landlord to try to offer solutions

Further help including drop-ins for young people can be found on our help for young people page.

The Buckinghamshire Children’s Services protocol sets out how the council will work in partnership with Homeless Services and Housing providers to safeguard and promote the welfare of young people aged 16 and 17 who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

If you're at risk at home

If you're in an abusive or violent relationship, tell someone and get help. The worst thing you can do is keep it to yourself. 

These organisations can help:

  • if you feel your safety is threatened, call the police on 999
  • if you feel you are in an abusive relationship, call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247
  • if you want someone to talk to for emotional support, call the Samaritans 116 123

Your options if you have SEND

Our Preparing for Adulthood area has a dedicated section for young people with SEND who want to start thinking about living more independently as they grow older.

Care leavers

If you are a young person in the care of Buckinghamshire Council, you will have a Personal Assistant who will assist you with your transition. They will discuss your housing options with you and work very closely with the housing team when it is time for you to transition into your own accommodation.

Further help and advice

More services on our directory

View homelessness and housing support services in Buckinghamshire including emergency accommodation and programmes.