Search for information, advice and guidance

Find local activities and organisations in our directory.

Alcohol, drugs and addiction

First steps

Talk to your GP

A GP is a good place to start. They can discuss your problems with you and get you into treatment. They may offer you treatment at the practice or refer you to your local drug or alcohol support service. If you don't have a GP, find a GP near you.

Search for an NHS counselling service

Talking therapy is for anyone who's going through a bad time or has emotional problems they need help with.

For many adults, it may be the same or more effective than medication. You can refer yourself directly without a referral from a GP.