Search for information, advice and guidance

Money, benefits and SEND

Applying for SEND benefits

There are benefits you can apply for if you are:

  • caring for a child or young person with special educational needs or a disability (SEND)
  • a young person with SEND who is over 16

Some of these benefits can only be claimed by parents or carers. Other benefits are only available to young people with SEND.

There are also universal benefits, which means they can be claimed by anyone who is eligible. But you may get more money from universal benefits if you have SEND, or are caring for someone with SEND.

Benefits help and advice

Working out if you can get benefits and filling in application forms is often difficult.

Children with SEND may also need to be assessed to get some benefits, which makes the process more complicated.

If you need expert help or advice, you can speak to: