Search for information, advice and guidance

Find local activities and organisations in our directory.

Education benefits for young people with SEND

These benefits are to help people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) in education.

These benefits must be claimed by people with SEND. They cannot be claimed by parents or carers.

If you need help to apply for any of these benefits, you should speak to a class teacher or to your school or college’s:

  • special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO)
  • headteacher

16 to 19 Bursary Fund

The 16 to 19 Bursary Fund is for young people aged 16 to 19.

It is used to support vulnerable groups in education, including young people with SEND.

You may get a bursary of £1,200 to help cover travel and other costs in education or training after the age of 16.

Read more about the 16 to 19 Bursary Fund.

Disabled Students Allowance

A Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) can cover some of the extra costs you face in education because of a mental health problem, long term illness or disability.

To see if you are eligible for DSA, you will need to be assessed.

Read more about DSA eligibility and how the money can be spent.

Transport for education

Read about transport benefits for young people with SEND in education, including:

  • student fares, passes and travel cards
  • travel help from colleges

University and college hardship funds

You may get extra money from your university or college if you are having money problems.

Read more about university and college hardship funds.

You can also contact the student services department at your university or college to see if you are eligible.