Search for information, advice and guidance

Money, benefits and SEND

Benefits for parents and carers of children with SEND

Parents and carers of children or young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) can apply for these benefits.

People with SEND cannot apply for these benefits.

Carer's Allowance

If you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week, you may get a Carer's Allowance.

Claiming Carer's Allowance may affect other benefits that you and the person you care for can get.

Read more about Carer's Allowance eligibility and how to make a claim.

Carer's Credit

You could get Carer’s Credit if you are looking after a person with SEND for at least 20 hours a week.

Carer’s Credit is a National Insurance credit that helps with gaps in your National Insurance record.

This is important as your state pension is based on your National Insurance record.

Read more about Carer’s Credit eligibility and how to make a claim.

Carer Premium

Carer Premium is an extra payment you can get if you are entitled to a Carer's Allowance.

You must also be claiming one of these benefits:

  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support
  • Council Tax support
  • income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit

Read more about Carer Premium or ask for details at your nearest Jobcentre Plus.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help you with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking, or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability

When your child turns 16, they will no longer get DLA. They must apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead.

Read more about DLA for children eligibility and how to make a claim.

Information videos from the DWP

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) have playlists (one which is signed) of information videos that provide an overview of the DLA benefit, how to make a claim, after you have claimed, and what to do when a child turns 16.

Signed videos