Money, benefits and SEND
Benefits for parents, carers and people with SEND
The benefits on this page can be claimed by either:
- parents or carers of children or young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
- people with SEND
Disabled Facilities Grants
If you have SEND, or are caring for a child with SEND, you may be able to get Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) to make changes to your home.
This could be to:
- widen doors and put in wheelchair ramps
- improve access to rooms and facilities, such as stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
- change heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
Read more about DFG eligibility and how to make a claim.
A personal budget is used to help get the intended results or outcomes from an education, health and care (EHC) plan.
You can use a personal budget to pay for education, health, social care and other services you choose, which gives you more flexibility and control.
Personal budgets are available to:
- young people with SEND who have an EHC plan
- parents or carers of children with SEND who have an EHC plan
The money in a personal budget can be paid directly to you, so you can decide how the money is best spent. This is known as a direct payment.