Search for information, advice and guidance

Money, benefits and SEND

Benefits for parents, carers and people with SEND

The benefits on this page can be claimed by either:

  • parents or carers of children or young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • people with SEND

Disabled Facilities Grants

If you have SEND, or are caring for a child with SEND, you may be able to get Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) to make changes to your home.

This could be to:

  • widen doors and put in wheelchair ramps
  • improve access to rooms and facilities, such as stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • change heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

Read more about DFG eligibility and how to make a claim.

Personal budgets

A personal budget is used to help get the intended results or outcomes from an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

You can use a personal budget to pay for education, health, social care and other services you choose, which gives you more flexibility and control.

Personal budgets are available to:

  • young people with SEND who have an EHC plan
  • parents or carers of children with SEND who have an EHC plan

The money in a personal budget can be paid directly to you, so you can decide how the money is best spent. This is known as a direct payment.

Read more about personal budgets and direct payments.