What domestic abuse is
Domestic abuse is any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse often caused by a partner or ex-partner, a family member or carer.
This could include:
- Coercive control (a pattern of intimidation, degradation, isolation and control with the use or threat of physical or sexual violence)
- Psychological and/or emotional abuse
- Physical or sexual abuse
- Financial or economic abuse
- Harassment and stalking
- Online or digital abuse
- Gender and domestic abuse
- Destruction of property and pets
It can commonly escalate from threats or name calling to physical or sexual abuse and is rarely a one-off incident.