Search for information, advice and guidance

Find local activities and organisations in our directory.

Living independently

Rent or buy a house or flat

Person dropping a key into a hand

Rent a house or flat

If you want to leave home, you can think about renting a house or flat.

You can rent a home from:

  • the council or local housing association
  • a voluntary or charity organisation
  • a private landlord or letting agent
  • a family member, friend or someone you know

Buy a house or flat

Buying your own home is a big step because you need to:

  • get enough money to put a deposit on the property
  • pay a mortgage each month

To understand your options and what support you could receive, you may find the Housing and Support information helpful from the National Development Team for Inclusion (NDTI).