Search for information, advice and guidance

Health and SEND

Health support in education for children with SEND

If your child has health needs that need to be managed at school, early years settings, schools and colleges must produce an individual healthcare plan (IHP) with you.

Examples of health needs that could need managing at school include asthma, epilepsy, Type 1 Diabetes and tube feeding.

An individual healthcare plan (IHP) makes sure your child gets the health support they need in their educational setting. It also records any training for staff.

IHPs are jointly written by:

  • you
  • your child
  • schools
  • healthcare professionals

To start writing an IHP, you or your GP should speak to your school's special educational needs coordinator (SENCO).

Other support from education providers for children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) includes:

EHC plan annual reviews

If your child has an education, health and care (EHC) plan, they will have an annual review meeting with their school to make sure they are getting the right health support.

Your child's school will organise this meeting.

A health professional should be invited to this meeting or provide written information if they can’t attend.

Health needs should be included in the discussions and any changes to the EHC Plan required should be reported to Buckinghamshire Council.

Details around health needs management in the setting should be kept within the Individual Healthcare Plan (IHP) and this should be referred to in Section G of the EHCP.

Read about the support schools and the council must give children with medical conditions.

Health training for staff

School staff can get training from the NHS to support children with a wide range of medical needs. Your school’s nurse will be able to give you more information on available training.