Search for information, advice and guidance

Health and SEND

Help for children with learning difficulties

If your child has special educational needs (SEN), support is available near you:

Learning disability register

If your child has a learning disability, ask your GP to add them to the learning disability register.

By joining the register your child will get extra support when visiting your GP, and when they're 14 and over they should also get an annual health check.

If your child also has a medical condition that needs managing in school, such as:

  • asthma
  • epilepsy
  • Type 1 Diabetes

Your GP or other health professionals can work with you, your child and the school or setting to draw up an Individual Health Care Plan (IHP) for the school to follow.

Community learning difficulties health team

When your child turns 18, they can get help from the community learning difficulties health teams in High Wycombe or Aylesbury.

Read more about support for other conditions associated with SEND.