Search for information, advice and guidance

Find local activities and organisations in our directory.

Preparing for Adulthood Transition Guide

Last updated: 20 February 2023
PfA Banner

Looked after children with SEND

The integrated SEND team and Children with Disabilities 0 to 25 team work closely with the virtual school, to ensure that support for looked after children is meeting their educational needs.

Personal Education Plan (PEP)

All looked after children must have a care plan, and the Personal Education Plan (PEP) is a key part of this.

Everyone involved in shaping a child's PEP should use it to support the personalised learning of the child in a way that meets their educational needs. This is a live plan which can be updated to state what needs to happen for looked after children to enable them to make progress and fulfil their potential.

The Virtual School has certain duties and responsibilities towards looked after children who have SEN, or have an EHC plan. They must ensure that:

  • The SEND Code of Practice, as it relates to looked after children, is being followed.
  • The child or young person's EHC plan works in harmony with their care plan.

You can also find out lots more information about Personal Education Plans and options for when children turn 18 on the Bucks Local Offer.

Pathway Plans

Local Authorities must ensure that a pathway plan is prepared for all eligible children. Eligible children are:

  • children who are looked after
  • aged 16 or 17
  • have been looked after by a local authority for a period of 13 weeks. This must have began after they reached 14 and ended after they reached 16.

Local Authorities must do the following:

  • Ensure that the child's PEP is maintained. It is a statutory requirement that all eligible children have a Pathway Plan. The PEP should form a part of the planning and review of the pathway plan.
  • Ensure the Pathway Plan helps the child prepare for when they are transitioning from being looked after to living independently. This includes paying particular attention to the young person's education and/or training. It also includes how they are able to access all the services they need to prepare them for training, further or higher education or employment.
  • Ensure that care leavers are supported to find further education college (FE) and higher education (HE) establishments that meet the needs of the looked after child. This includes any special educational needs they may have.
  • Ensure every child is aware of and receives the 16 to 19 Bursary Fund.

Financial support for children leaving care

Children who are leaving care can be eligible for different types of financial support. There is lots of information available online, and a young person's Personal Assistant will be able to help carers and young people navigate all of the options.

Care Leavers Internship

The government is offering care leavers exciting new opportunities in the Civil Service through one-year internships in Government departments, including education and the Ministry of Justice. No qualifications are required for this position.

Take me to Care Leavers Internships