Search for information, advice and guidance

Find local activities and organisations in our directory.

Preparing for Adulthood Transition Guide

Last updated: 20 February 2023
PfA Banner

Looking after you

When you are caring for a child or young person with SEND it is very easy to take your own health and wellbeing for granted and not to acknowledge that sometimes, you may also need some help.

Carers assessment

You will be entitled to a carers assessment regardless of the amount or type of care you provide, your financial circumstances or your level of need for support. You can ask for a carers assessment for yourself. The assessment might recommend some of the following:

  • Someone to take over caring so you can take a break.
  • Gym memberships and exercise classes to relieve stress.
  • Help with taxi fares and transport if you do not drive.
  • Help with gardening or housework.
  • Training on how to lift safely.
  • Putting you in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to.
  • Advice about benefits for carers.

More information is available on Carers Bucks.

Short breaks

Following an assessment, short breaks could be provided to give:

  • The child or young person time away from the family, giving them the opportunity for independence, to have fun with their peers, make new friends and have new experiences.
  • Parents and families, a necessary and valuable break from caring responsibilities.

Some short breaks provide families with opportunities to take part in activities or trips together.

Contact, a charity for supporting families with disabled children, also has a wide range of information and advice available around the types of support you can get.